Thursday, December 1, 2011

Faking mean

Something a lot of people don't realize is that teaching is hard work. Not in the sense that the work load is insurmountable, or the hours are unbearable, but teaching requires one to juggle several strenuous tasks that are all interdependent on each other. A teacher's primary goal is of course, to teach the necessary material, that is usually determined by a higher branch of academic power. Or in my case, not. But the teacher must also create and maintain a miniature "society" for their students-- with laws, expectations, goals, consequences etc. The environment that a teacher creates for learners is equally as important as what is being taught, because without it, students lack structure, motivation, and respect. In order to develop this sense of a stable classroom society, a teacher often has to play a part, that is completely different than their personality.

My first two months of teaching were peaches and cream. Maybe the students didn't understand me, were afraid of me, or were half-asleep, but they were delightful to spend time with. I coasted through my lessons and felt like I'd made about 200 new friends. I felt accomplished, respected, mature, and empowered. Then a few days ago, this facade quickly disintegrated. Turns out, my "everyone be nice and love each other" approach translated as "everyone do what you want this class doesn't count." My students are hyper, loud, and boisterous; they fall over chairs and throw pens, they talk when I tell them stop and speak in French when I require English. At the end of my "short" days, I feel drained and cynical; I can't seem to pinpoint where things went wrong, or how to make them right. Surely I haven't lost the fight yet...right?

If you know me, then you know that I am anything but authoritative, mean, or strict. I'm a people-pleasing optimist, who will do anything for a warm smile and a pat on the back. Kind of like a golden retriever. It feels so unnatural to be firm and strict with my students, which is why I decided on a more relaxed approach from the get-go. Well this approach is currently biting me in the ass. I want to be liked, but more that that, I don't want to feel like I'm fighting a war every day.

I've been brainstorming all afternoon, thinking back through my 16 years of school, to how my teachers managed their classrooms. I had the meanies, who terrified me. Sure, they kept order and were never walked all over the way I have been lately, but I don't think terrifying students is a) something I'm capable of and b) a good environment for a foreign language conversation class.

Then of course I've had the teachers who everyone loved, but no one respected. They were funny, flighty, disorganized, and energetic, but not what I'm going for. These teachers yelled over the class as if they were begging for the respect and attention that they were entitled to. This persona is frightening to write about because I am starting to feel this way, and I am worried of losing control in my classes completely as students get comfortable talking over me and ignoring instructions.

Then there were the teachers I've had who have mastered a balance. They were cool, calm, collected, interesting, inspiring, approachable, and intimidating. Where did they learn this? This is what I need to master. The art of intimidating people in an inspiring way. I have a lot of things working against me though: I'm 24, I don't speak French fluently, and I can't give grades...all of which my students are aware of. So what do I have to back up my desired persona? Until I can find a better answer to this question I'm going to rely on my acting skills, and the cold beer in my fridge.

2 comments:

  1. You've already got this - I've seen you do it with your brother many times, and you've shown the same skills when you talk about your interactions with dates, family members and friends too. It's really about setting appropriate limits and letting people know your boundaries, but staying calm and not taking things personally when those limits get pushed. Make the rules clear, consistent and fair, then put them right out front along with the consequences. Stick to your guns and always follow through with what you say you will do, but do it nicely and know that most of the kids will pretty much stop testing you when they know you won't cave in.

    You really do know how to do this. Treat your ill-behaving students like badly behaved dates whose family is friendly with yours - shut them down firmly but politely and hold on to the humor and anger of the situation to share with your friends later. BTW, when trying to figure out what works - especially by way of consequences - in your school with your students, an experienced fellow teacher at your school could be a goldmine of information and inspiration. Teachers love to share! (And if Dick or I can offer any help, message us on Facebook or call us anytime. Between us we've got close to 75 years of experience.) But remember the acting skills and the cold beer will always come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynne, you are so encouraging. Today was a better day. I think it's been tough because my main objective here is to benefit my students, but I am also learning so much in the process. Simultaneous teaching and learning is exhausting, but perhaps it is what keeps the occupation so stimulating and fulfilling. I am going to have to really work on creating a classroom persona, and set of rules that I stick to, not only so that I don't go crazy, but so that my students can benefit as much as possible from the lessons. And yes--I have talked to a few teachers and they had excellent advice! And any advice that you or Richard have would be wonderful to hear. Feel free to email me at stephanie.karampelas@yahoo.com, or send me a facebook message. Hope you are doing well :)

    ReplyDelete