Saturday, September 24, 2011

New York I love you, but not at 5 p.m. on a Friday with 150 lbs of luggage.

I suppose the title pretty much wraps up my updates, but amidst the craziness I feel compelled to write a little something, since I have been neglecting the blog here lately. I left Raleigh on Friday, groggy from too much wine the night before and tearful once again. It's funny how these goodbyes feel so dramatic, even though they are temporary. I just think that any life transition is bound to be emotional.

Despite days of packing with my sister, my suitcase was still above the limit, weighing in at a whopping 70lbs. This is in addition to a small rolling suitcase carry-on and a back pack that is stuffed so full I look like a ninja turtle with it on. Awesome. Long story short, I had to pay a pretty penny to have my luggage checked, but at this point I am getting more comfortable swiping my Visa.

We boarded the plane on time, but had to sit for over an hour on the runway because of weather, and I finally got into LaGuardia right at 5 o'clock, picked up my luggage (which had a big red warning tag on it because of the weight), and joined the mile-long line outside to get a taxi.

Whew, so fast forward and now I am in my friend's lovely apartment in West Village, eating oatmeal and feeling slightly relaxed. Even though I've never spent any significant amount of time in NYC, I feel so connected to this place, and it makes me feel oddly patriotic. It is the perfect way to exit the US. Not sure what is in store for today, lunch at a Greek restaurant (my friend and I are both half Greek and love to celebrate it) and then checking out some galleries in Chelsea. Tomorrow---France!

No comments:

Post a Comment