Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Oh North Carolina, there you go again, legalizing discrimination.

I have a terrible case of the Mondays. On a Wednesday. It must be the weather, or the anxiety surrounding the fact that I am leaving the country in a less than two weeks, or the fact that I can't stop eating carbs. And I had every intention of writing a cheery blog today, because all of my previous entries sound like a mix of Carrie Bradshaw and Daria. And it has to stop. But then, as I'm trying to pick a cheerful topic to talk about, all I can think about is the NC House passing the marriage amendment bill, and I'm feeling sick again.

I don't want to blog about those supporting the ban, who want to protect the traditional family structure and prevent the occurence of "evil lifestyles." And I don't even want to blog about those against the ban, who are infuriated from being labeled as an abomination because who they choose to love. (My opinion on the issue should be clear at this point.)

Sarcasm aside, I want to understand other arguments for the ban. Even if you are heterosexual, and think that a gay lifestyle is wrong, how does this affect you? This amendment would negatively alter homosexuals lives, and their dreams to share a life with another individual. And would it really help the proponents sleep better at night?

I think despite all of the other important issues (social and economic) to consider for the primaries in May, this issue hits everyone hard, regardless of their stance. because it is so personal. No one can define any of the terms necessary to formulate a proper argument: what is family? what is normal? are you born homosexual? where is the separation of church and state? Even if there will never be widespread agreement of these questions, at least establish clarity in a debate/forum/conversation. Decide exactly what you are arguing about. The issue is long-standing, intricate, delicate, and multi-layered; it should be treated as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment