Friday, October 7, 2011

Dressing like a teacher 101

I have never been much of a fashionista. I went to a preppy upper-crust high school and to show my distaste for Lily Pulitzer and Lacoste, I wore tie-dye and birkenstock. Which carried over into college, where I varied my hippie-inspired wardrobe with tube tops and sundresses. (I went to school at the beach). Dumped into the "real-world," I was a nanny and a server for a year after graduation, which meant tank tops, gym shorts and yes, non-slip shoes.


Lacking style- but never personality in college
So here we are. I've always been a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, but now I am teaching every day and really want to to change my wardrobe in a way that distinguishes me from the students. Thanks to a few generous gifts and the help of my sister, (she got the fashionista gene) I was able to buy some nice work clothes before I left for France. But now every morning, I stand in front of my closet befuddled, looking at my clothes as if they are puzzle pieces that don't fit.
I need an intervention. I wonder if What Not To Wear could do an episode in France. If they would make an exception for a girl who is searching for a style that matches her personality and professional goals. It's really true that one should present themselves for the job/life that they want and that if you look good, you will feel good. Here are a few looks/ideas that appeal to me:
I like this one because it is structured, feminine and creative, but not fussy. It's conservative but not boring; classy but I'm not yawning. It is a bit dressy for teaching, but I definitely like the structure of it.

Here's another one that looks appropriate for the school that I'm working at. Most of the teachers dress casually, but definitely polished and conservatively as well.
And last, there's this one, something a little younger and more comfortable. I really like the muted, understated colors in France, people seem to go for simple, high-quality pieces that fit extremely well.
So what to do? I guess like learning a language, practice makes perfect. In the meantime, send love and advice my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment