Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Helluva day



Happy Birthday to my little bro!
  I am so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open, but due to my extreme dedication to keeping my faithful readers happy, I feel compelled to write tonight.

Today is my brother's birthday, and it was really hard to be away. We have been bffs for as long as bffs count. Birthday's are the perfect opportunity to recognize how much someone means to you. I know that it will feel like this over the holidays; I suppose it's just the give-and-take of a situation like this. Get: awesome experience abroad. Give: time with friends and family.

This morning I woke up at the ripe hour of 6am and hurriedly got ready for my orientation in Clermont-Ferrand. I have been so anxious for this day, because it is meant to tie everything together and it is also a chance to meet other assistants and end my days of medieval village solitude. So first I took a bus to Varennes-sur-Allier, then a train to Clermont-Ferrand, where I met some really nice French girls who went to the university and they walked me to the school that was hosting my orientation.

I really expected today to be a drag, but I learned so much and felt so inspired by all of it, I acquired some excellent knowledge about teaching, the French education system, and my role as an assistant this year. All day I felt really lucky to be a part of this; I am realizing that it is essentially an exchange. I am sharing my language and culture in exchange to improve my French and experience their culture. Not all people get a chance to step out of their realm of comfort and challenge themselves in this way, and I am so grateful for it.

The session lasted all day from 9-5, and I made some great contacts with other assistants in my area. Out of all the things I learned today, these three made an impact:

1. Establish yourself as a leader in the classroom, immediately. French students are used to strict rules and structure, and it is more important that they respect you than think you are cool.
2. My role is not to teach grammar or teach Shakespeare, it is to get these students to talk. Because of their class size and lack of every-day necessity, they do not have a chance to practice. I need to find innovative ways to excite them about learning English.
3. Do not think of myself as a tourist. I am a member of the school's staff and an expert in my own language. I  need to exude confidence and feel comfortable, among the students and faculty. Don't be afraid to ask questions and for advice. I am here to learn and to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment