Monday, October 10, 2011

Staying fit abroad

The last time I was in France for an extended period of time (circa 2008) I ate a baguette and/or pastry every day, and drank alcohol every night. I had no idea what a kcal was or how it related to me and I made it my mission to experience French nightlife and recover the next day with carbs. Amazingly enough, I did not gain a lot of weight, but definitely came back feeling less than svelt (is that a word?). You know--clothes not fitting quite right, uncomfortable in a bikini, so on and so forth.

Four years later, my body is less forgiving. So this time around, I promised myself that I would not compromise my health for the experience. I am determined to find a balance, where I can enjoy all the wonderful food and wine here, while maintaining my weight. (Losing weight would be optimal, but lets not get too crazy). I think operation weight maintenance is doable.

So this brings me to my cultural frustration. In Saint Pourcain, people are undoubtedly more active and physical, because it is a more rural area. I've hardly seen anyone smoking, and their are many sports clubs to join. But there really isn't that "work out culture" that I miss in America. I miss keeping work out clothes in my back seat, personal trainers, elipticals, and tread mills. (never thought I'd say that). I suppose I'm very American in the sense that I'll never be satisfied by a long walk for a workout. No, I need to sweat.

 Every Tuesday and Thursday I run with a group for an hour around the town, but I need more than two days of work out to feel like my body is in check. More than anything I miss yoga. So I searched it on iTunes, and voila! A 45-minute practice that is really good! The instructor's voice isn't too annoying, and it really is good for cardio, stretching and relaxation. So my work out goals for my time here is to practice yoga at least three times a week and run with the group twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment